Posted in General

K-1 Visa

It’s been a while since my last post on and i have to move my blog to wordpress, as posterous space will close down at the end of April 2013. ūüė¶

I was a bit busy and still busy i guess. I’ve just moved to the US after struggling with the long process of the K-1 visa or the nonimmigrant visa for a fiance(e). I would like to give the overview of the whole process before i came to America. It took¬†1 year and 9 days¬†to complete the process and get the visa!¬†I have to tell you that it was a very long period of waiting and my nightmare is not even over yet!!! I still have to fight in order to stay here with the love of my life. After arrived here in the US, I thought things are going to be easy but i’m wrong! There are so many things i have to do and a lot to be done within 90 days after stepped my feet on this land. So, I can’t work… can’t go outside the state… can’t stay here, if i don’t finish everything on time!


8 February 2012: Gathered documents

17 February 2012: Submitted I-129F package by post

27 February 2012: Received the 1st Notice of Action (NOA1)

17 July 2012: Received the 2nd Notice of Action (NOA2)

6 August 2012: Received letter from US Embassy Bangkok

23 August 2012: Applied for Thai Police Certificate

16 January 2013: Attended medical examination

31 January 2013: Submitted packet 3 to the US Embassy Bangkok by post

1 February 2013: US Embassy Bangkok called for an interview appointment

8 February 2013: Interview with packet 4 at the US Embassy, visa denied

18 February 2013: Submitted additional documents by post

25 February 2013: K-1 visa issued

26 February 2013: Received the passport and K-1 envelope

7 March 2013: Travel to the US

8 March 2013: Entry to the US at Los Angles, gave the K-1 envelope to the immigration and got I-94

26 March 2013: Applied for marriage license and obtained the marriage certificate

28 March 2013: Applied for a Social Security Number (SSN) card

29 March 2013: Get married by the magistrate

1 April 2013: Sent the marriage license/certificate back to the Office of Clerk and Recorder

4 April 2013: Received the Social Security Number Card

17 April 2013: Received the marriage license/certificate with official seal

29 May 2013: Apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS) and Green Card

2 June 2013: Received the Official Receipt Notice (I-797) via SMS and Email

6 June 2013: Received the Official Receipt Notice (I-797C) by post

5 July 2013: Received the biometrics appointment letter (I-797C) by post

17 July 2013: Biometrics information taken

9 August 2013: Received Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

16 August 2013: Received the AOS interview appointment letter

19 September 2013: AOS interview appointment and got approved

25 September 2013: Received Welcome Letter

27 September 2013: Received Green Card, finally!

K-1 Visa AOS

I-129F Package: List of Documents

(In this case, petitioner is your fiance and beneficiary is you.)

1. Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)) with I-129F Supplement (if any)

2. Form G-325A (Biographic Information), both petitioner and beneficiary

3. Copy of passport, both petitioner and beneficiary

4. Passport photographs, both petitioner and beneficiary, name written with pencil in the back

5. Copy of petitioner’s birth certificate

6. Letter of Intend to Marry, both petitioner and beneficiary

7. Proof of having met in person in the past two years

8. I-129F Cover Letter

9. Application Fee 340 USD

Packet 3: List of Documents

(All documents not in English or Thai must be accompanied by certified English translations.)

Photocopies of documents

1. Passport, valid for more than 6 months

2. Previous Passport(s)

3. Birth Certificate with certified translation

4. Name Change Certificate(s) with certified translation(s)

– Name Change Certificate

– Surname Change under House registration

Original documents

5. Application Form DS-230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration), completed with signature

6. Application Form DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application), completed with signature

7. Application Form DS-156K (Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e)Visa Application), completed with signature

8. Application Form DS-157 (Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application), completed with signature

9. 2 photographs¬†(2″x2″, white background, ears visible) with name printed on the back

10. Application Fee 7,680 THB (paid at Thai Post Office, mail in the receipt)

11. Evidence of Financial Support, included the following documents:

– Form I-134, completed with signature

– Copy of petitioner’s US passport

– Employment Letter

– Copy of petitioner’s tax return (Form 1040) 3 years back

– Financial statement, certified by bank

12. Police Certificate from Thai Police (written in English already)

Obtain from the Royal Thai Police and bring the following documents:

– Passport with a copy

– Thai ID card with a copy

– House registration with a copy

– Copy of petitioner’s passport

– Requesting letter from US Embassy: copy of packet 3 cover letter or copy of NOA2

13. Foreign Police Certificate(s)¬†from Germany or F√ľhrungszeugnis (written in German) through the German Embassy Bangkok and submitted the request by mail, with certified translation

Obtain through the German Embassy by submit the following documents:

– Passport with a copy

– Fee 40 EUR (paid in THB) to certified the copy of passport

– Fee 13 EUR + 13 EUR transferred to the Federal Office of Justice

14. Martial Status Certificate (issued by District) with certified translation

Obtain from the District Office and bring the following documents:

– Thai ID card with a copy

– House registration with a copy

– 2 witnesses (with copies of ID card and house registration)

15. Letter of Intend to Marry, both petitioner and beneficiary

Packet 4: List of Documents

(Please purchase a mailing envelope 350 THB at the Embassy for the returning documents and passport.)

1. Original documents, which submitted in copies with packet 3

2. Medical Examination Envelope from the hospital (Do not open it!)

Obtain by make an appointment with the selected hospital/doctor and bring the following documents:

– Passport

– Photo 1″

– Case Number

– Forms: DS-2054, DS-3025, DS-3026 and DS-3030

– Vaccine record(s) from school and place of birth

3. Evidence of Relationship, like photos, emails, etc.

Marriage License and Certificate

Obtained from Denver Office of Clerk and Recorder and bring the following documents:

1. Petitioner’s U.S. driver’s license

2. Beneficiary’s passport

3. Application Form 3008F, completed

4. Application Fee 30 USD

Get marriage solemnized by authorized judges or magistrates (125 USD Fee) and return the license/certificate for recording. When it got back, then the marriage is completed.

Social Security Number Card

Obtained from the Social Security Administration and bring the following documents:

1. Application Form SS-5, completed with signature

2. Passport with K-1 Visa

3. I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record), unexpired

4. RM 10211.530 List of Documents Establishing Lawful Alien Status for an SSN Card, printed out

The SSN card will arrive by mail within 2 weeks.

Apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS) and Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

The adjustment application should be filled within 90 days of entering the US as indicated on the I-94.

1. Application Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident of Adjust Status

2. Application filling fee 985 USD with 85 USD biometric fee for a total of 1070 USD, a check payable to Department of Homeland Security

3. Form G-1145, e-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

4. Two passport-style photos, your name and A# written on the back

5. Form G-325A, Biographic Information

6. Copy of your government issued photo identification, passport

7. Copy of your birth certificate and name change certificate(s) with translation

8. Copy of passport page with K-1 nonimmigrant visa

9. Copy of passport page with admission (entry) stamp

10. Form I-94, Admission/Departure Record (use the copy one)

11. Evidence of your marriage to the US citizen within 90 days, Marriage certificate

12. Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, if applicable (within 6 months of last examination, no need to submit this form)

13. Form I-864, Affidavit of Support and financial related documents from your fiance

14. Copy of approved Form I-130, Notice of Action

15. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

16. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document

The last two forms can be submitted with Form I-485, so you don’t have to pay their application fees.

Request for applicant to appear for initial interview with your husband or wife with the following items:

1. Interview Notice and your government issued photo ID

2. A completed medical examination (I-693)

3. A completed Affidavit of Support (I-864) with all required documents

4. Any immigration-related documents, like Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

5. Passport and I-94

6. Birth Certificate

7. Your petitioner’s Birth Certificate

8. A certified copy of your Marriage Document

9. Supporting evidence of your relationship

10. Original and copy of each supporting documents

11. A certified English translations for each foreign language document

Words of Advice: Please try not to date an American, if you can help it ok?



INTJ / Economist (by learning) / Illustrator (by trying) / Bookworm / Coffeeholic / Toy Collector / Gamer

One thought on “K-1 Visa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s